As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Pictures.

A few more pictures that get you caught up to present day!  These are in no particular order.

(Beth took this one.)


Art lessons - working on mixing white and black paint into a color to change the tint and shade. 

The girl in the shiny pink dress - her face is priceless. 

So cute!

All of Beth's market purchases.  And there were even more, because this picture was taken in February.  Needless to say, she has a problem.  But it's hard to resist when you can get quality clothing for super cheap!

My first running-related injury.  Just in time for Valentine's Day too!

The empty market.

Beth and I getting freshly cut sugar cane.

Happy Mardi Gras!




One of the projects Beth has been working on was building a library.  It now has over 200 books donated from groups and individuals all over.  It's so wonderful to see children explore the world of literature!!

Showing off the "guns"!  These tough guys definitely had me beat with all their karate moves, cartwheels and gymnastics.



Best. Purchase. Ever.  I first saw these months ago, but hesitated because they are in pretty rough shape.  After researching the re-webbing possibilities online, I decided that I should get them.  Trouble was, I couldn't find them.  The woman selling them was never out and I couldn't find her anywhere else in the market.  One day, Beth and I were walking and I said we should go the way where this woman had been selling.  She was joking that I would never find the sandals and as soon as she finished, there they were!  They cost me 150 gourdes or just over $3.


No comments:

Post a Comment