As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Say cheese...

Here are some pictures of what's happened over the past few weeks!!


Love this picture!  This little girl was helping me clean up after one of the art lessons.

One of the only pictures I have where everyone is smiling and looking at the camera!

Our final color wheels.  Students were sent out into the school yard to find objects that matched the colors on their wheels.  It was so fun to watch them all running around looking for things and then sharing their findings so every student had a piece in each section.


We had several cases of these donated by Food for the Poor a while ago.  We found the last case in our basement a week or so after we got here.  I mixed the slightly stale puffs with corn flakes every morning for two months and we finally finished the last box...


New wildlife spotted - Guinea fowl!


Since I have been here, I have been extremely lucky, health wise.  But, my luck finally ran out.  I am currently treating myself for ringworm, a kind of fungus, that I most likely contracted from contact with a kid who had it.

This is another fungus that was scratched until it became infected.  I saw it only a few days after I realized I had ringworm.  It immediately made me thankful that mine was only on my elbow and was just about the size of a nickel.  After giving the little boy a round of antibiotics as well as fungal and antibiotic cream, it cleared up and his neck is looking much, much better.


We had a few pretty bad rainstorms several days in a row.  School was actually canceled because kids were unable to to get across this new lake.



Around the same time we were having rain storms, my parents were having snow storms that caused massive power outages all over the state of Maine.  It was interesting to see the difference between what closes school to be canceled here and back home.


Suzie and I just hanging out.  She just had four kittens!


First grade on their way to computer class.


Diligently working on pictures using different kinds of lines.





No comments:

Post a Comment