As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

On the Steps of the Palace

Two of the main attractions in the north is La Citadelle or Citadelle Laferrière and Sans-Souci Palace.  While I have learned a little bit of Haitian history since I've been here, it was pretty cool to actually see some of it.  This UNESCO World Heritage Site (since 1982) is located a little way south of Cap-Haitian and was a pretty easy tap-tap ride.  I probably should have posted a map on my last post but I didn't, so here's a map.  One the first day, we went from Gros Morne to Gonaives, then to Cap-Haitian.  On the second day we did Cap-Haitian to La Citadelle and back, then from Cap-Haitian to Labadee.  Then we did it all in reverse order a few days later to get back home.



I'm going to begin with Sans-Souci Palace, because that was the first thing we did.  The palace was built by Henri Christophe, a former slave, leader of the slave rebellion, elected president of the northern State of Haiti in 1807 (it had been divided between Christophe and Alexandre Pétion when neither could agree on who should be in power) and then self-proclaimed king of Haiti in 1811.  Sans-Souci, which means "carefree" in French, was his attempt to build his own Versailles, but it was destroyed around 30 years after it was constructed.  Construction was finished in 1813, but was ruined and abandoned in 1842 after the earthquake.  It was once a beautiful and luxurious palace - Christophe's proof that Haiti was a cultured nation.  In addition to the palace itself for the king, his queen Marie-Louise and their two daughters, the grounds included extensive gardens, a hospital, army barracks, a school and a printing press.

I love ruins and seeing old architecture, so I was pretty excited to walk through the palace.  It was, however, a little strange to be seeing something that seemed so European in style and feel in the middle of Haiti.  The palace itself was used to show the rest of the world (especially Europe and the US) the power that the first black nation had, but Christophe's reign was based on European monarchical traditions.


The entrance and the church that Christophe built.


In the extreme foreground are the ministers quarters, where advisors and other political officials lived.  The fountain-looking thing in the middle is part of the King's garden.  In the background is the army barracks.

Through the door, you can see a Cayemite tree.  I believe this tree played a significant role in Haitian politics because Christophe had official meetings and signed important documents under its limbs.

On the lower right side is the car shed, the stables, the queen's palace and garden and off the left side would be the print shop.  Although it was much smaller than Versailles, I was definitely getting some Versailles-esk vibes.



The best part.  Grass!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment