As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Finally...a new post!

First, I just want to apologize for the amount of time between my last post and this one.  The past 4 months have literally gone by in the blink of an eye but have been jammed packed.  We have a running joke here that the week actually consists of only three days, Monday, Thursday and Sunday.  The other days just don't exist.  It's hard to believe that I've spent close to 8 months here.  Part of me feels like we were just getting off the plane and the other part of me feels like those first steps were a lifetime ago.  I'm amazed at the number of things that I've seen and done that I never thought I would see or do.  I have a growing list of firsts!

The past four months have been the most challenging since I've been here, but they have also really opened my eyes to the reality that Haitians struggle through every day.  They have made me question everything I have learned about community development and international relations, showed me how hard change is, made me question whether or not change is even possible in a place like this and realize that the sisters and any other volunteer, NGO, non-profit and general do-gooder, are facing what seems to be an impossible task.

I have broken up the past four months into big events and will throw in some other posts that are purely pictures.

Happy Reading!


Not a bad place to be drafting the new posts!!  Frankie and I got to travel to Jean Rebel in the north-west and spent one of the mornings at the beach.  It was a great place to sit, reflect and start writing.
(Photo courtesy of Frankie)

No comments:

Post a Comment