As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Few Thousand More Words...

On Friday, I tried to help Sr. Victoire open some files off of a flashdrive she received at an environmental conference she attended.


My chamber pot.  This was in my room and the nuns actually used them.  I thought about it one night when I woke up having to use the bathroom, but I didn't have the courage...


A special guest.


On Friday, after school got out, I went for a walk with Yves behind the house.  (Yves took this picture.)


(Yves took this one too.)


(He took this one too.)


I spent Saturday afternoon talking with these boys.  It was good Creole practice and I helped one of them practice some English.  It was a very interesting conversation.  They were very interested in my parents and if I actually had a mother.  They wanted to know how many children my mother had and if my father had any other children.  They wanted to know if I had a boyfriend.  They were fascinated with the hair on my arms (and my legs) and kept telling me that white skin is more beautiful than black skin.  We also listened to some music and they told me that they loved Justin Bieber.  I had one of his songs on my phone and we jammed out a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment