As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Monday, October 6, 2014

Doctor Who?

After spending the weekend back at home in Gros Morne, finishing my laundry, remembering how to speak English and thoroughly enjoying real showers, I headed back to Riveyè Marcel on Monday morning.

Before I begin my narrative, you need to know some slight background information.  For the past few years, a group of doctors has come to Riveyè Marcel for around a week to work in the dispansè (clinic).  They provide free medical consultations and medication for the week.  It just so happened that two Canadian doctors were going to be in town at the same time I was.  The sisters in Gros Morne said that I may have a chance to watch or maybe work with the doctors and gave me strict orders to not speak English with them.  I didn't really have any idea whether or not I would be actually working with them before I arrived.  I figured that they would just do their thing and I would maybe watch for an afternoon, but I would spend the rest of my time like I had the week before.

Turns out, I very much underestimated my involvement.  But, I'm going to leave you on that minor cliff-hanger and introduce you to the team.  This way, you'll know who I'm actually talking about.

Here is the team I was working with.

Crystal:  She had been to Riveyè Marcel at least twice before doing the same thing.  She is a surgeon in Michigan, but was born in Canada.

Jean:  Jean is a Haitian man who was originally born in Riveyè Marcel.  He has since moved to the US, but comes back with the doctors to translate for them (and to visit his family that still lives in the area).

Jean and Crystal

Tammy:  This was Tammy's first trip to Riveyè Marcel.  She and Crystal are best friends.  She is a psychiatric nurse somewhere in Canada.

Johnny:  Johnny was actually the one who drove me to Riveyè Marcel the very first time.  He speaks French as well as some English and worked with Tammy who also speaks French.

Tammy and Johnny

Denise:  Denise and her husband come to Haiti for a chunk of time each year.  They do a variety of work in a town nearish Riveyè Marcel.  She used to work in the medical field and this week, she counted all the medicine that was given out and sorted it into bottles to give people.

Jeanette:  Jeanette is Jean's sister and worked with Denise giving out medicine.  She speaks a little English and helped explain to people what each medicine was for and how to take it.

Bob:  Denise's husband.  He came for the last day or so and helped count medicine.

Jeanette, Bob and Denise

Polo:  Polo lived in Riveyè Marcel and acted as a kind of receptionist.  He would write each person's name on a card that they would then give to the doctor.  He helped organize the crowd and would tell people when they could go ahead into the consulting room.

Saddie:  Bob and Denise's little dog.  She just hung out.


Saddie!!

Me:  It turns out that I was a larger part of the team that I ever expected!

I'm still working on my doctor face...

No comments:

Post a Comment