As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

I didn't spend my entire week in the dispansè, so I've added a bunch of random photos that I took throughout the week.  Enjoy!!


My new buddy Jackie.  We gave all the kids that came to the dispansè a Dum-Dum lollipop.  Jackie thought it was so funny that his tongue had turned blue after he finished his.


The food that I ate during my two weeks was much more traditional and typical than the meals we have in Gros Morne (we had pizza the other day...), so I took a few pictures.  This is a "kenep."  They grow all over here and there was a large kenep tree in front of the school in Riveyè Marcel.  It's kind of like a grape on the inside, but a little more slimy.  You suck on it and scrape the fruit off and then spit the pit out when you're done.  


We had rice and beans all the time.  On this day, we also had cooked cabbage, goat and boiled plantains.  We also had "zaboka" almost everyday (avocado).


Yves and me!


We had this for breakfast a few times and once for dinner.  It's kind of like oatmeal, but I don't think it was made out of oats.  It had anise in it and you added lots of sugar.  It was actually quite tasty.


We had tea for breakfast and for dinner.  Some of it was anise tea (I think) and it tasted a little like chai tea.  We also had this kind of tea.  I have no clue what kind of leaves they were, but I'm pretty sure they were gathered around our yard and then put in the tea pot.  I ate a lot of things that I wasn't entirely sure what they were.  I asked about some things, but others I decided not to.  For example, one of the last afternoons, we had some kind of soup/stew dish.  It had these hunks of stuff that when I took a closer look, looked like tripe.  When I got back to Gros Morne and asked about it, they said that it was most likely pig skin (you could see tiny black hairs on one side) and it was just a cheaper cut of meat.


Sr. Victoire was working with some teenage girls who weren't in school.  She was helping them learn to sew and make headbands that they could sell in the market.  This was the sewing machine that they were learning to sew on.


On Friday, I had a bunch of free time, so I figured I would see if I could make a headband.  Here's my masterpiece!


Yves and I working on math.  We were doing expanded notation.


I'm not sure why, but I really liked this scene.  It kind of reminded me of something someone would set up to paint a still-life.


This little guy hung out in my bathroom for almost two days.  He refused to leave no matter how many times I poked him with my flashlight.  Let's just say we became very well acquainted during his stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment