As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Picture This!

Thus far, I think I've taken a few hundred photos.  I can't post all of them, but I did want to share some more of them to give you a better idea of the other things I have done and the environment that I'm living in.  Enjoy!


The view from the top of our roof!


Kiddos at Lekòl Jezi-Mari in Fon Ibo.


Beth and I got caught in the rain walking back from the school one day!  We took shelter under a large banana tree!


Hanging out with some girls washing their clothes in the river.  They showed us the proper technique of hand-washing.


I spent two afternoons sorting through a huge box of donated glasses that were all jumbled together.  I individually wrapped and labeled over 400 pairs of reading and prescription glasses that will be given out at some point in the near future.


I went for my first run here last weekend.  I ran up the mountain (the same one from an earlier post) and let my feet air out a little bit  while I enjoyed the view before I made my way back down.


We've seen some pretty interesting cloud formations here. 


One of the larger projects I've taken on is sorting through all of the supplies we have for the summer camp we host every summer for the students at Fon Ibo.  It started out as a huge pile of stuff in the corner of our "library," but little by little I've gone through, counted and organized everything and complied a list so we know what we need for camp this summer.  Here's one of the before pictures.


After!


One morning when Beth and I were going to the school, she burned herself on the muffler of the moto.  The driver said that she needed to put oil on it.  So, he stopped, told us to get off, opened his gas tank and proceeded to put gasoline on her burn.  Apparently that's what many people do here to make the pain go away.  Beth was a little apprehensive about it though...


Fon Ibo School received funding for a solar computer lab.  I've helped Beth and Sony (the computer teacher) in some of the classes.  It's amazing how enthusiastic the kids are about the computers and how far they have come since I first saw them using the computers at the beginning of the year.


One of the pre-schoolers from Fon Ibo.


No comments:

Post a Comment