As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Big Rock Candy Mountains

Instead of rock candy mountains, I was surrounded by mountains covered mostly with mango trees.  I have learned that there are many different varieties of mangos, some of which only grow in certain areas.  Riveyè Marcel is most famous for the "mango Francis" which is one of the largest varieties.  They aren't in season yet, but come spring time, I will do my best to find a mango Francis from Riveyè Marcel to try.

You could see mountains just about everywhere, but the best view was from the top of the large hill behind the house I was staying in.  You had to climb the hill to get cell phone reception and I climbed it to help figure out the Internet situation on the sister's laptop and then to help one of the sisters send an email.  Despite the difficulties I had figuring out how to work a computer that was partially in French and partially in English and then explaining everything in Creole, it was a beautiful spot to work.






No comments:

Post a Comment