As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

BFFs (Best Friends Forever!)

There were a few kids who lived in what was called the Kay Pè (the house of the priest) and this was one of those kids.  He hung out with me every afternoon and really helped me practice my Creole.  I did a lot of listening with the sisters, but he did a lot of speaking with me.


I had brought my Grade 2 level reader that I got in the market here the other day with me and he had his from his Grade 3 class.  This was one of the stories that he read to me, while I listened and followed along for comprehension.  It was the story of the "Three Little Pigs" and he thought it was so funny when I told him that I learned the story in school in the US when I was his age.  I loved helping him read.  I love reading with kids in general, but it was interesting to see how kids are learning to read in another country in terms of the stories they read and the materials they use.  It was also nice to know that I am reading at least (if not a little higher) at a Grade 3 reading level!  He gave me some spelling lessons and quizzes as well and also helped me discover that I am able to do multi-digit addition in Creole.


BFFs!  I'm so excited to see him again tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment