As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

These Boots are Made for Walkin'

It was a little too hot for boots, but my Chaco's did get some miles put on them over the course of the week.  The pictures I took of our mountain excursions are in another post, but here are some from my other excursions.

This was the river that ran right through town.  The first day, I found a rock to sit on, washed my sandals, listened to some music and chatted with some boys who were passing by.  It wasn't very deep - maybe around a foot at its deepest, but the water was much colder than the river in Gros Morne so putting my feet in felt great!


The small mountain that we had to climb to reach the house.  At the bottom of the hill is "downtown" where the market is almost every day.  It wasn't very large, but you could get most of the essentials like rice, sugar, macaroni, crackers, avocados, bonbons (cookies/candy) etc.  I didn't take any pictures of the market itself – it felt a little strange to walk through with a camera.


This was taken when I was walking with the women's group on Thursday morning.  I am rooming with Beth back in Gros Morne and Haitians have a hard time pronouncing "th" so they all call her Bef.  Bef, in Creole, means cow.  Obviously, I call her Bef too.  I was missing my roommate and when I saw this cow, I had to take a picture of a bef for Bef.  It is also a good example of the fact that there are random farm animals tied around trees in what seems to be the middle of nowhere, hanging out in the middle of fields or just roaming around.


Sr. Victoire and I on our nature hike around the area.


It's a little difficult to see, but this is a papaya tree.  There is a small papaya growing towards the top of the stalk.

Some of the women in the women's group with St. Victoire walking to one of the houses and gardens we visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment