As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Riding and Bucket Showers

I was only brave enough to take one photo during my motorcycle ride.  You can see the kind of terrain we were driving on and you can barely see a part of the river we had to cross in the upper left corner.  It wasn't terrible, but I don't know if I would call the ride "zen."


This is the gate to the little campus that the house is in.  The building right behind the gate is the church.


My room.  I also had a small desk and an armoire as well.  The main sleeping quarters for all the nuns was a large room that had been partitioned into small cubicles with the upper parts all exposed.  It was pretty simple, but I had everything I needed and my bed was super comfortable.


Because I was living with the nuns, I followed their schedule.  They would wake up every morning around 5, say a morning prayer then wash, dress, etc.  Their morning prayer service (in French) began at 6:30ish.  It was pretty early and the first day was a little rough, but I got used to it by the end of the week and my days felt super productive.


Late night selfie!  A little light reading before bedtime!


The green bucket in the corner was my shower.  I had mastered the art of bucket showers when I was in Malawi last summer and got to put my skills back to work this week.


One of my many friends.  I showered with several spiders throughout the week.  No tarantulas this time, and these ones were only about two inches big instead of the huge ones we had before, so it wasn't too bad.


We were fortunate to have what's called a hygienic toilet, instead of just a pit in the ground.  The large drum that was visible in the picture of my shower is the source for water that you dump into the toilet  to flush everything down.


No comments:

Post a Comment