As a Quest Volunteer for Haiti, I will be spending a year not only doing service, but learning more about the people and culture of Haiti, the beauty of the country, the challenges they have faced, are currently facing and potential solutions to these difficulties. I am also hoping that I will build on the skill-set I have already developed, expand my knowledge in general, and become a better and more aware global citizen. Throughout the year, I will be posting about the work I am doing, observations I have made, and in general reflecting on what I have learned about the country and myself. Happy reading!!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mountains Beyond Mountains.

So I checked out a topographic map of Haiti, and in my opinion, there seem to be more mountains than flat land.  This is incredibly evident when you just take a look around.  We got an even better view of the mountains when we climbed to the top of the mountain, more a large hill, that our house is situated on.  It was a pretty short hike to the top, but the views were incredible!

Since a picture is worth a thousand words and it would be incredibly boring for me to just talk about what we saw, here are a bunch of photos!!

Beth and Frankie on our way up!!











Gros Morne

You can kind of see the women who have laid their wash out to dry on the right bank of the river.

Wildlife!!  There are tons of domesticated animals (goats, chickens, cows, donkeys) here and a fair amount of smaller birds, but this was the largest and most interesting one I have seen thus far.

We saw a few bigger birds while we were at the top.  It was pretty windy and they were doing this thing where they would fly around for a while and then all of a sudden, totally stop flapping and hang  suspended in mid-air.  It was the coolest and strangest thing!  This picture looks like it is just a bird flying, but this bird in particular was just hanging in the air.

We had a great time taking photos at the top and definitely got some awkward ones.  (Beth took this one.)

Our failed attempt at jumping together... (Beth's photo)

(Beth took this one!)

A successful mid-air jump, but a little blurry.  Thanks Beth!


No comments:

Post a Comment